Huntington Beach Pop Warner Football and Cheer is great for kids! For over 75 years, Pop Warner football has promoted strong growth and development for boys and girls.Here are a number of ways your child will grow from Pop Warner Football & Cheer:
- Build self-esteem, self-respect and dignity
- Social interaction with peer and adults
- Teaches sportsmanship, teamwork, and self-control
- Builds strong ethics
- Helps children overcome adversity by teaching them how to handle mistakes and difficulty
- Instills self-discipline and awareness of the value of preparation
- Teaches children how to handle criticism
- Provides leadership opportunities
- HB Pop Warner helps foster a sense of community through it’s affiliation to local high schools.
- Provides a healthy, rigorous physical outlet for kids
- HB Pop Warner protects its participants through safe instruction, rigorous training of coaches and staff, and top-of-line equipment – all creating an arena of fun and safety.
Head coaches are selected through a rigorous screening process and voted on by the HBPWF board of directors. Once selected, coaches must attend mandatory training and put together a staff of knowledgeable assistants. At least one coach must be CPR certified. All Coaches will be Heads Up Certified learning how to take the helmet out of contact. Link to more information: http://www.trainemupacademy.org/
Players must meet age, weight and scholastic requirements. Players must be in good physical condition and certification from a doctor is mandatory. Players must be willing to learn and grow.
Starting in August, practices are 4-5 nights per week until school starts. After school starts, practices are 3 days per week. Pop Warner does not allow “hell week” training. Dinner is usually available for purchase during and after practices for teams and families. Each team is assigned dates to provide dinner as a team fundraiser.
All games are held on Saturdays. Home games will be held at Edison. Away games can be held as far away as Pasadena during the regular season. Transportation to away games is the responsibility of each player’s family.
Practices are held at Edison High School exclusively. HBPWF football works in partnership with the high schools to provide the teams with adequate practice area. HBPWF football also provides lighting, restrooms and space for teams to conduct dinner night fundraisers.
As part of the registration fee, all players are provided with practice jerseys, game jerseys, and mouthpieces. Helmets and shoulder pads are loaned to players for the season. All equipment is replaced or refurbished pursuant to Pop Warner specifications. Players may choose to purchase their own equipment from an outside supplier, however all equipment must pass HBPWF inspection. Players will need to purchase practice pants, games pants, athletic supporter (cups) and football cleats.
HB Pop Warner is proud to support a flag football and cheer program for developmentally disabled children ages 5-18. Challenger teams practice weekly and play in 10 games per season. Cheer squads participate in regional cheer programs in addition to the games. Click here for more info. (link to “Challenger Division” Page)